I didn't want to marry a doctor

When I was single, I used to stare at the ceiling for hours pondering relationships and the dramatic thoughts that follow, like "I'm going to be alone forever" or "I wonder who my future husband is going to be like" and then "Maybe I should reconsider celibacy"

During my bouts of drama, I used to tell God that though I really didn't care whether my future husband would be cute or ugly, rich or poor, Korean or non-Korean... he just needed to meet the following requirements:
  1. He had to be a follower of Jesus
  2. He had to be - at the very least - taller than me
  3. He had to be able to carry me 
  4. Not a doctor 
I was very specific. I really did not want to marry a doctor.

But of course, God has a sense of humor.

Fast forward to the night I first met Daniel. I was absolutely smitten. It was one of those cliche moments where the world feels as though it slows down for just a second. He was wearing a plaid shirt and adorable socks. He smiled with his eyes. He was reading Dostoyevsky, and he was tall and handsome. 

But, the way he spoke about Christ really stuck with me.

This one quote sums up that first meeting perfectly:

I think you know you've found someone special when you meet them for the first time, and it feels like you're just picking up where you left off. You kind of look at them and think, "Where the hell did you come from? Where the hell have you been?" 

I went home that night thinking, "I'd marry a man like that" and "Where the hell did he come from?"  

Sparing all the boring details, he didn't add me on Facebook until a few weeks later. (This guy... right?) After a couple weeks of 'talking,' we were in his car outside his apartment when he turned to me and said, "I'm pretty certain about you." 

And then he continued how he wanted to go to medical school and that he would want to get married before he started school, because something about his advisors saying something about having a wife and that later on it gets harder to get married but he wants to have a couple years of enjoying life before the rigor of school. 

And after he finished rambling I said, "I'm pretty certain about you too." 

And 13 months later we were engaged, and eight months after that we were married. Nine months after our wedding, Daniel got an email saying that he'd been taken off the wait list and that a spot was open for him at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine across the country in the sleepy town of Erie, Pennsylvania. 

And that he starts in two and a half weeks. 




Comments

Popular Posts